Secure Ordering | Free Shipping | 20% Off Retail Prices
Along with providing information on whether EGCg supplements might be right for you, this article also links to Fullscript where you can buy supplements online through Fullscript’s secure healthcare formulary and get free shipping and 20% off the retail price of professional-grade supplements.
Green tea is renowned for its health benefits and one key component that stands out is Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCg). This natural antioxidant found in green tea leaves has garnered attention for its various beneficial properties. EGCg supplements are concentrated forms of this compound, designed to provide the advantages of green tea in a more direct and accessible manner. This article delves into the science-backed benefits of EGCg supplements, exploring how they can contribute to overall health and wellness.
And if EGCg supplements are right for you, this article will show you the best place to buy EGCg online.
What Is EGCg?
Epigallocatechin gallate, commonly abbreviated as EGCg, is a powerful compound predominantly found in green tea. It is a type of catechin, a natural phenol and antioxidant, that contributes significantly to the health-promoting properties of green tea. EGCg stands out for its strong antioxidant activity, which is crucial in protecting cells from oxidative stress caused by free radicals.
The unique structure of EGCg allows it to interact with various molecular pathways within the body, influencing numerous biological processes. This interaction is the foundation of its wide-ranging health benefits. EGCg’s ability to support heart health, promote weight management, and potentially maintain healthy brain function has made it a subject of extensive scientific research.
In supplement form, EGCg provides a concentrated dose of this beneficial compound. These supplements offer an alternative for people who may not regularly consume green tea, ensuring they can still reap the advantages EGCg offers. It’s important to note that while EGCg supplements contain higher levels of the catechin than green tea, they should be used as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.
What Are the Benefits of EGCg?
- Antioxidant Properties: EGCg is a potent antioxidant that helps neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, reducing oxidative stress and potentially lowering the risk of chronic diseases.
- Heart Health Support: It may improve heart health by reducing blood pressure, decreasing cholesterol levels, and improving blood vessel function.
- Weight Management: EGCg can aid in weight loss efforts by boosting metabolism and increasing fat oxidation.
- Cognitive Function: There is evidence suggesting EGCg can support brain health, potentially improving cognitive function and offering protective effects against neurodegenerative diseases.
- In a study of 12 elderly nursing home residents with cognitive dysfunction where participants consumed green tea powder 2 g/day for 3 months, participants had improved test scores. [PMC4210905]
- Blood Sugar Regulation: It may help in regulating blood sugar levels, which is beneficial for people managing diabetes or metabolic syndrome. In animal models, it reduces the insulin resistance and blood vessel dysfunction associated with a high fat diet. [PMC3882381] Epidemiological studies show strong relationships between green tea consumption and reduced risk of type 2 diabetes and its cardiovascular complications. [PMC4909506]
- Cancer Prevention Potential: Some studies have indicated that EGCg could have cancer-preventive properties, although more research is needed in this area.
- Skin Health: Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects can be beneficial for skin health, possibly protecting against skin damage and aging signs.
- Dental Health: EGCg has been found to support oral health by reducing plaque formation and countering bacteria that cause tooth decay and gum disease.
- Enhanced Immune Function: EGCg can support the immune system due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Reduced Inflammation: It has anti-inflammatory effects that may be beneficial in conditions like arthritis and other inflammatory diseases.
- Improved Liver Health: EGCg may support liver function and protect against conditions like fatty liver disease.
- Antibacterial and Antiviral Effects: This compound exhibits antibacterial and antiviral properties, which can help in fighting various infections.
- Stress and Anxiety Reduction: Some studies suggest that EGCg can have a calming effect, potentially reducing stress and anxiety levels.
- Bone Health: EGCg may promote bone health by improving bone density and supporting the formation of new bone cells.
- Longevity and Aging: Due to its broad range of health-promoting properties, EGCg might contribute to increased longevity and better aging.
Tea As A Source of EGCg
|Type of Green Tea
|EGCg Content per Cup (mg)
|Dragon Well (Longjing)
|Gunpowder Green Tea
Is EGCg Safe?
EGCg, the prominent compound in green tea, is widely recognized for its safety when consumed in normal amounts. This natural antioxidant has been a part of human diets for centuries through green tea consumption, underscoring its general safety for most people.
Medication Interactions with EGCg
- Blood Thinners (e.g., Warfarin): EGCg may enhance the effects of blood thinners, increasing the risk of bleeding.
- Chemotherapy Drugs: EGCg can potentially alter the effectiveness of certain chemotherapy drugs, either enhancing or diminishing their effects.
- Beta-Blockers (e.g., Propranolol): EGCg might interfere with the absorption and effectiveness of beta-blockers, impacting blood pressure control.
- Antibiotics: The absorption of some antibiotics can be reduced by EGCg, potentially decreasing their efficacy.
- Birth Control Pills: EGCg may decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills, increasing the risk of unintended pregnancy.
- Antidepressants (e.g., SSRIs): There may be an interaction that affects the metabolism and effectiveness of certain antidepressants.
- Statins: EGCg can potentially interact with statins, affecting cholesterol levels and the medication’s efficacy.
- Psychostimulants (e.g., Amphetamines): EGCg might influence the absorption and effectiveness of psychostimulants.
- Medications for High Blood Pressure: EGCg may interfere with the effectiveness of some blood pressure medications, impacting blood pressure control.
Supplement Interactions with EGCg
- Iron Supplements: EGCg can bind to iron, potentially reducing the absorption of iron from supplements and exacerbating iron deficiency.
- St. John’s Wort: The combination with EGCg may influence the metabolism and effectiveness of St. John’s Wort, impacting its antidepressant properties.
- Calcium Supplements: EGCg might interfere with the absorption of calcium from supplements, affecting bone health.
- Vitamin K Supplements: Since EGCg has blood-thinning properties, it may interact with Vitamin K, which is important for blood clotting.
- Ephedra: Combining EGCg with ephedra can increase the risk of stimulatory side effects, such as increased heart rate and high blood pressure.
- Bitter Orange: When taken with EGCg, it may heighten the risk of cardiovascular side effects due to the stimulant properties of bitter orange.
- Magnesium Supplements: EGCg can potentially affect the absorption of magnesium, impacting overall magnesium levels.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: There might be interactions that affect blood clotting, especially when taken in high doses with EGCg.
When you purchase linked products presented on this page, Supplement Sciences, LLC receives affiliate fees so that our dietitians can continue to create great content.
Thank you for your support!
Order EGCg Online
Why Professionals Choose the Fullscript Formulary
Your health is on the line. Health professionals know that many other online and retail options set a very low bar for quality–sometimes amazingly low. The Fullscript formulary is the most secure online source for the highest quality brands securely sourced to assure freshness and purity. Here’s what makes Fullscript the best:
- Meticulous vetting of brand quality. Health professionals trust Fullscript to continuously monitor the quality of each item on the platform. Other retailers operate with profit as their highest or only motive when choosing brands. Fullscript cares only about quality and reliability. Unlike discount stores, large online marketplaces, and other retailers you won’t find ingredients sourced from China or other questionable locations or companies.
- Always 20% Discount off the manufacturer’s retail price. When you follow any link from Supplement-Sciences.com, you will automatically get 20% off the retail price.
- Free shipping over $50.
- Freshness. Fullscript prioritizes freshness over bulk buying even if it means an increased risk of briefly being out of stock.
- Top quality phone and online support. When you call, knowledgeable humans at Fullscript answer your questions.
- How It Works:
- Easy Sign-up & No Spam Email: Click the “View Product” button below to be taken to Fullscript’s login page where you can quickly create your secure account with just your name, email, and phone number. Then you will be taken directly to the product page.
- Wide variety of supplement options: Once you sign in to your account, you are not limited to the products listed below. You will see similar items listed at the bottom of each product page on Fullscript.
- Search For What You Want: Once inside Fullscript, you can search for the exact brands and products you want from their wide selection of quality brands.
EGCg 400mg by Protocol for Life Balance
One capsule of Protocol For Life Balance™ EGCg, 200 mg, possesses the phytonutrient content equal to about 2-3 cups of green tea. Green Tea Extract contains numerous compounds, including Polyphenols and Catechins, that provide potent antioxidant benefits. One catechin in particular, EGCg, has demonstrated extraordinary free radical quenching power in laboratory studies. In non-clinical studies, EGCg has also been shown to be protective against chemical and environmental assault on tissues and helps to support healthy cell cycle regulation.
*HOW IT WORKS: Green Tea has been extensively studied. Researchers have found its active constituents to be a family of polyphenols called catechins. One catechin in particular, epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCg) has demonstrated extraordinary free radical quenching power in laboratory studies.* One capsule of Protocol For Life Balance® EGCg, 200 mg, possesses the phytonutrient content equal to about 2-3 cups of green tea.* As a dietary supplement, take 1 capsule daily with a meal.
Amount Per 1 Capsule Serving
Green Tea Extract … 200 mg (Camellia sinensis) (Leaf)
(Standardized Extract) [80% Total Catechins, and 50% EGCg (Epigallocatechin Gallate) (200 mg)](up to 4 mg of naturally occurring caffeine)
Decaffeinated Green Tea … 50mg (Camellia sinensis) (Leaf)
Although this article discusses supplements in detail, don’t forget that we are absolutely committed to the “Food First” approach to nutrition. When it comes to your health, the totality of your eating habits far surpasses the impact of individual nutrients or any single supplement you consume. Even though this article doesn’t delve into the broader picture of your overall diet, it’s crucial to keep this element at the forefront of our minds. Your food needs to provide all the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and phytochemicals to nourish your body systems down to the cellular level.
Food choices, rather than supplements, are the most critical factors for a healthy gut microbiome. These trillions of tiny inhabitants in your gut affect your brain waves; they orchestrate your immune system. They possess the power to create molecules that can switch genes on or off and are even capable of synthesizing neurotransmitters. Opting for organic foods and steering clear of plastic packaging (including those labeled BPA-free) is a smart move to limit toxin exposure. The sum of all these parts leads to a powerful conclusion: the ultimate key to your health lies in the quality and balance of the food you consume. Supplements are secondary.
To Sum It Up
EGCg supplements offer a concentrated form of the powerful antioxidant found in green tea, providing a range of health benefits. These supplements are known for their ability to neutralize harmful free radicals, supporting overall cellular health and reducing the risk of chronic diseases. They can aid in heart health, assist in weight management, and may even have positive effects on cognitive function and brain health. Additionally, EGCg supplements are recognized for their potential role in regulating blood sugar levels, contributing to oral and skin health, and offering antibacterial and antiviral properties. While they bring numerous benefits, it’s important to use them responsibly as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle. EGCg supplements represent a simple yet effective way to incorporate the goodness of green tea into your daily routine
This Article is Not a Substitute for Medical Advice
Dietary supplements are not designed to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The Supplement Sciences website seeks to provide comprehensive access to the most relevant supplement information along with convenient online ordering. We do not provide medical advice and cannot guarantee that every product suggested is completely without risk. Since each person is unique in their health history and medication use, it is important to discuss supplements with your personal physician. Specifically, pregnant women and individuals being treated for cancer or liver or kidney problems must consult their physician about every nutritional supplement they plan to take. People taking medications for the treatment of HIV or with a history of organ transplant must not take supplements without consulting with their physician.