Secure Ordering | Free Shipping | 20% Off Retail Prices
Along with providing information on whether Bovine Colostrum supplements might be right for you, this article also links to Fullscript where you can buy supplements online through Fullscript’s secure healthcare formulary and get free shipping and 20% off the retail price of professional-grade supplements.
Bovine Colostrum supplements are concentrated from the first milk of cows. They offer a unique range of health benefits rooted in scientific research. From enhancing immune function through immune factors to supporting digestive health with growth factors and antimicrobial proteins, these supplements have proven their potential in various studies.
If Bovine Colostrum are right for you, join us as we explore the science behind these remarkable benefits in detail.
What Is Bovine Colostrum?
Cows typically produce colostrum for a period of approximately 3 to 5 days after giving birth. During this time, the colostrum is rich in essential nutrients, antibodies, and growth factors that are crucial for the health and immunity of the newborn calf.
Bovine colostrum, often referred to simply as “colostrum,” is the nutrient-rich, milky fluid produced by cows during the initial days after giving birth. It provides essential nourishment and a powerful immunity boost. Colostrum is not to be confused with regular milk; it is a concentrated source of bioactive compounds that play a crucial role in the calf’s early development and immune system fortification.
Composition of Colostrum:
Colostrum is characterized by its unique composition, which sets it apart from mature milk. [PMC7831509] It contains a rich blend of antibodies, growth factors, vitamins, and minerals, all tailored to meet the specific needs of the newborn calf. These components work in harmony to kickstart the calf’s growth, establish a robust immune defense, and ensure overall health and vitality.
Key Components of Bovine Colostrum:
- Immunoglobulins (Antibodies): Colostrum is abundant in immunoglobulins, particularly IgG, which confer passive immunity to the calf. These antibodies help protect against a wide range of pathogens, bolstering the calf’s defense against infections.
- Growth Factors: Growth factors like insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) support tissue repair and growth, promoting the development of a healthy calf.
- Antimicrobial Proteins: Colostrum contains antimicrobial proteins such as lactoferrin and lysozyme, which actively combat harmful bacteria and viruses.
- Nutrients: It is a source of essential nutrients like vitamins (A, D, E, and K) and minerals (calcium, magnesium, and zinc), providing a comprehensive nutritional foundation.
Bovine Colostrum has gained recognition for its potential to offer similar benefits to humans. Its rich composition, which includes immune-enhancing properties and growth factors, has sparked interest in its potential to support immune health, gut integrity, and overall well-being. In the following sections, we’ll delve into the specific health advantages of incorporating Bovine Colostrum supplements into your daily regimen.
What Are the Health Benefits of Bovine Colostrum?
These health benefits, rooted in scientific research, make Bovine Colostrum supplements a promising addition to your wellness regimen. Here’s an overview:
- Enhanced Immune Function: Bovine Colostrum is rich in immunoglobulins (antibodies) that bolster your immune system, helping your body ward off infections and illnesses effectively. [PMID: 24774068]
- Gut Health Support: Colostrum contains growth factors and antimicrobial proteins that help maintain a healthy gut lining, support digestion, and potentially alleviate digestive issues. [PMC8228205] A study found that the use of colostrum in an animal model of short bowel syndrome was effective. [PMID: 18443138]
- Tissue Repair and Recovery: Growth factors found in Colostrum, such as insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1), contribute to tissue repair and regeneration, making it beneficial for athletes and individuals recovering from injuries. [PMID: 34865307]
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Colostrum’s bioactive components have anti-inflammatory effects, potentially helping to reduce inflammation and associated discomfort. [PMC10384749]
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Colostrum was found to be beneficial in Inflammatory bowel disease. [PMC8009748]
- Support for Athletic Performance: Athletes often turn to Colostrum supplements to aid in muscle recovery, strength development, and overall physical performance. Some studies have shown protection against performance declines caused by periods of intense training. [PMC8225123] A systematic review of the studies concluded that “bovine colostrum supplementation may be highly beneficial in improving gut permeability in athletes.” [PMC9227274]
- Skin Health: Some studies suggest that Colostrum may contribute to healthier skin, possibly reducing signs of aging and supporting skin repair. [PMID: 33938706]
- Antioxidant Defense: Colostrum contains antioxidants that help combat free radicals, contributing to overall well-being and potentially reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
- Balanced Microbiome: The prebiotic factors in Colostrum include various compounds like oligosaccharides, glycoproteins, and lactoferrin, which nourish beneficial gut bacteria, fostering a healthier gut microbiome.
In the following sections, we’ll delve deeper into each of these advantages to provide a comprehensive understanding of how Colostrum can positively impact your health.
Is Bovine Colostrum Safe?
Bovine Colostrum supplements have a strong safety record, however, it is critical to consider medication interactions. Reputable manufacturers ensure rigorous quality control. These supplements are well-tolerated when used as directed, with minimal side effects.
Medication Interactions with Bovine Colostrum
- Immune-modulating medications can either enhance or suppress the immune system’s activity. Specific interactions between immune modulators and Bovine Colostrum can vary widely based on the individual’s health status, the dosage and duration of use, and the particular immune modulator in question. Bovine Colostrum contains various bioactive components, including immunoglobulins (antibodies). The potential interaction between immune modulators and Bovine Colostrum mainly stems from their influence on the immune system.
- Enhancement of Immune Response: Bovine Colostrum contains a variety of immunoglobulins, such as IgA, IgG, and IgM, which can help boost the immune response by providing passive immunity. When an individual consumes Bovine Colostrum, these immunoglobulins may interact with immune modulators, potentially reinforcing the body’s defenses against infections or pathogens.
- Balancing Immune Activity: Bovine Colostrum’s immunoglobulins, specifically IgA, play a role in immune surveillance in mucosal surfaces, including the gut. This interaction may contribute to the modulation of the immune system, helping to balance immune responses in these areas.
- Potential for Conflicting Actions: In cases where immune modulators are used to suppress the immune system, such as in autoimmune disease treatments or organ transplantation, the immune-enhancing properties of Bovine Colostrum could potentially conflict with the intended therapeutic effect of immune suppression. This interaction may compromise the efficacy of immune modulators in these contexts.
- Chemotherapy Drugs: Bovine Colostrum may interact with certain chemotherapy drugs due to its immune-enhancing properties. This interaction could potentially affect the efficacy and safety of chemotherapy treatments. It is crucial for individuals undergoing chemotherapy to consult their healthcare provider before using Bovine Colostrum.
- Hormonal Medications: Bovine Colostrum contains immunoglobulin A (IgA), which could theoretically interact with hormonal medications. IgA might influence the absorption or metabolism of certain hormones, such as contraceptives or hormone replacement therapy.
- Antibiotics: Bovine Colostrum’s IgA content could interact with antibiotics targeting gut bacteria. IgA plays a role in immune defense in the gut, and this interaction might affect the effectiveness of antibiotics used for gastrointestinal infections. Healthcare guidance is recommended when combining antibiotics with Bovine Colostrum.
- Blood Thinners: Bovine Colostrum may contain vitamin K, which can interfere with blood-thinning medications like warfarin, potentially affecting their effectiveness.
Supplement Interactions with Bovine Colostrum
While Bovine Colostrum is generally considered safe, it’s important to be aware of potential interactions with other supplements. Here is a list of supplements that may interact with Bovine Colostrum:
- Probiotics: Both Bovine Colostrum and probiotics can influence gut health, and combining them may affect the balance of gut flora.
- Antioxidants: Some antioxidant supplements may have overlapping benefits with Bovine Colostrum in terms of combating free radicals and promoting overall well-being. While they can be taken together, it’s wise to avoid excessive dosages and consult with a healthcare provider for personalized guidance.
- Digestive Enzymes: Bovine Colostrum may support digestive health, and certain digestive enzyme supplements serve a similar purpose. Combining these supplements may enhance their collective benefits, but it’s recommended to seek healthcare advice if you have specific digestive concerns.
- Fish Oil/Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Bovine Colostrum and omega-3 fatty acid supplements may have complementary health effects, particularly related to inflammation and immune function.
- Glutamine: Bovine Colostrum and glutamine supplements are both associated with gut health. Combining them may have a synergistic effect.
When you purchase linked products presented on this page, Supplement Sciences, LLC receives affiliate fees so that our dietitians can continue to create great content.
Thank you for your support!
Order Bovine Colostrum Online
Why Professionals Choose the Fullscript Formulary
Your health is on the line. Health professionals know that many other online and retail options set a very low bar for quality–sometimes amazingly low. The Fullscript formulary is the most secure online source for the highest quality brands securely sourced to assure freshness and purity. Here’s what makes Fullscript the best:
- Meticulous vetting of brand quality. Health professionals trust Fullscript to continuously monitor the quality of each item on the platform. Other retailers operate with profit as their highest or only motive when choosing brands. Fullscript cares only about quality and reliability. Unlike discount stores, large online marketplaces, and other retailers you won’t find ingredients sourced from China or other questionable locations or companies.
- Always 20% Discount off the manufacturer’s retail price. When you follow any link from Supplement-Sciences.com, you will automatically get 20% off the retail price.
- Free shipping over $50.
- Freshness. Fullscript prioritizes freshness over bulk buying even if it means an increased risk of briefly being out of stock.
- Top quality phone and online support. When you call, knowledgeable humans at Fullscript answer your questions.
- How It Works:
- Easy Sign-up & No Spam Email: Click the “View Product” button below to be taken to Fullscript’s login page where you can quickly create your secure account with just your name, email, and phone number. Then you will be taken directly to the product page.
- Wide variety of supplement options: Once you sign in to your account, you are not limited to the products listed below. You will see similar items listed at the bottom of each product page on Fullscript.
- Search For What You Want: Once inside Fullscript, you can search for the exact brands and products you want from their wide selection of quality brands.
Bovine Colostrum – 900 mg/40% IgG (Pure Encapsulations)
Research Dose: Immune Health: 1-2 grams
- Blend of immune supportive compounds*
- Potential to help activate and balance immune response and immune cell function*
- Derived from BSE-, hormone-, pesticide-, and antibiotic-free herds providing a pure, rich source
Pure Encapsulations Colostrum is derived from BSE-, hormone-, pesticide-, and antibiotic-free USDA certified dairy farms in the US. It is collected after the first 24 hours, defatted and standardized to contain 40% IgG. Colostrum contains immunoglobulins G (IgG), A (IgA)m E (IgE), D (IgD), and M (IgM). IgG is naturally found in the highest concentration. Other naturally occurring immune support compounds include lactoferrin, proline-rich polypeptide (PRP), lymphokines, interferons, interleukins, oligosaccharides, lysozymes, insulin growth factors (IGF-1 and IGF-2) and transforming growth factors (TGF-A and TGF-B)*
Take 2 capsules, 2-3 times daily, on an empty stomach or at least 30 minutes before a meal, with 8–12 oz water.
Amount Per 2 Capsule Serving
Colostrum … 900mg
(standardized to contain 40% IgG)
ImmunoG PRP™ Powder Natural by NuMedica
Manufacturer Description: ImmunoG PRP™ Powder is a natural bovine colostrum collected within 24 hours after birthing. This formula is a whole food providing IgG and colostrum polypeptides, including essential PRPs.* It also supplies protein, immune factors, growth factors, vitamins and minerals to ensure health and vitality naturally.* Numerous scientific studies have shown that colostrum supports the human immune and cytokine systems.*
Many colostrum products are produced in a way that they lose essential colostrum polypeptides (PRPs). This formula is carefully processed for maximum biological activity and is antibiotic-free.
Suggested Use: Mix one scoop (10 grams) in chilled water or other beverage once per day or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
One Scoop (10 g) Contains:
Calories … 40
Cholesterol … 10 mg
Total Carbohydrate … 2 g
Total Sugars … 2 g
Protein … 6 g
Calcium … 125 mg
Sodium … 40 mg
Potassium … 90 mg
Proprietary Colostrum Blend … 10000 mg
Colostrum (Pasteurized Bovine Pre-Milk)
Colostrum polypeptides (PRPs)
Immunoglobulin G (IgG) (2,500 mg)
Sunflower lecithin (non-GMO)
Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs)
Although this article discusses supplements in detail, don’t forget that we are absolutely committed to the “Food First” approach to nutrition. When it comes to your health, the totality of your eating habits far surpasses the impact of individual nutrients or any single supplement you consume. Even though this article doesn’t delve into the broader picture of your overall diet, it’s crucial to keep this element at the forefront of our minds. Your food needs to provide all the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and phytochemicals to nourish your body systems down to the cellular level.
Food choices, rather than supplements, are the most critical factors for a healthy gut microbiome. These trillions of tiny inhabitants in your gut affect your brain waves; they orchestrate your immune system. They possess the power to create molecules that can switch genes on or off and are even capable of synthesizing neurotransmitters. Opting for organic foods and steering clear of plastic packaging (including those labeled BPA-free) is a smart move to limit toxin exposure. The sum of all these parts leads to a powerful conclusion: the ultimate key to your health lies in the quality and balance of the food you consume. Supplements are secondary.
“To Sum It Up”
Bovine Colostrum supplements have been shown to play a pivotal role in improving gut permeability, a crucial aspect of digestive well-being. By promoting a balanced gut microbiome and supplying essential prebiotic factors like oligosaccharides and lactoferrin, they support a healthy gut lining, which, in turn, aids digestion and contributes to overall gut health.
Furthermore, Bovine Colostrum is rich in immunoglobulins, such as IgG and IgA, which are vital components of the immune system. These immunoglobulins act as antibodies, helping the body fend off infections and bolstering the immune response. The inclusion of these immune-boosting elements in Colostrum supplements underscores their potential to strengthen the body’s defense mechanisms. So, whether you’re looking to improve your gut permeability or enhance your immune function, Bovine Colostrum supplements offer a comprehensive solution to support your overall health and well-being.
This Article is Not a Substitute for Medical Advice
Dietary supplements are not designed to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The Supplement Sciences website seeks to provide comprehensive access to the most relevant supplement information along with convenient online ordering. We do not provide medical advice and cannot guarantee that every product suggested is completely without risk. Since each person is unique in their health history and medication use, it is important to discuss supplements with your personal physician. Specifically, pregnant women and individuals being treated for cancer or liver or kidney problems must consult their physician about every nutritional supplement they plan to take. People taking medications for the treatment of HIV or with a history of organ transplant must not take supplements without consulting with their physician.