When you purchase linked products presented on this page, Supplement Sciences, LLC receives affiliate fees so that our dietitians can continue to create great content. Thank you for your support!
Motherwort has been a go-to herb for centuries, often used for its calming effects on the nervous system and heart health. Known scientifically as Leonurus cardiaca, this plant offers more than just its unique appearance. Whether you’re curious about natural remedies for stress, anxiety, or heart issues, Motherwort has a lot to offer. Let’s dive into the various benefits and research that make Motherwort a noteworthy supplement.
And if motherwort supplements are right for you, this article will show you the best place to buy motherwort online. Supplement-Sciences has partnered with Fullscript’s professional-grade supplement formulary to provide a 20% discount on every order, so you always have access to the highest quality supplements.
What Is Motherwort?
Motherwort, Leonurus cardiaca L., is a perennial herb that belongs to the mint family, native to Europe and parts of Asia. You can identify it by its jagged leaves and small, pink or purple flowers. It’s a staple in traditional medicine systems like Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda. The name “Motherwort” itself suggests its historical use for various female reproductive system issues, but its benefits extend to heart health and stress management as well. The active compounds in Motherwort, including flavonoids and alkaloids, are the key drivers behind its health-promoting properties. People usually consume Motherwort as a tea, tincture, or in supplement form to reap its benefits.
The composition … was proved to present a complex biological activity, with cardioprotective, antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, nephroprotective, and antiviral properties, among others.Leonurus cardiaca L. as a Source of Bioactive Compounds [PMC6500680]
What Are the Benefits of Motherwort?
- Heart Health: Motherwort supplements may act as mild vasodilators, helping to relax blood vessels, which can ease the strain on the heart. They might benefit those with heart palpitations or tension in the chest often related to anxiety and are used to help with high blood pressure. [PMID: 23042598, PMID: 24841965]
- Menstrual Relief: Motherwort has been used for centuries for menstrual issues. It is believed to have uterine tonic properties, which can help to tone and relax the uterus, thus relieving menstrual cramps. It may also promote a more regular menstrual cycle. [PMID: 33017723]
- Stress and Anxiety: Known for its mild sedative effects, motherwort may increase blood flow to the brain and potentially interact with GABA receptors, providing a calming effect and reducing feelings of anxiety. [PMID: 20839214]
- Menopause Symptoms: Traditionally, motherwort has been used to help manage menopausal symptoms like hot flashes, anxiety, and mood changes due to its influence on hormonal balance and potential calming effect on the nervous system.
Is Motherwort Safe?
When it comes to safety, Motherwort generally has a good track record, especially when used in moderation. It’s considered safe for most adults and is commonly consumed in various forms like tea, tinctures, and supplements. However, it’s crucial to follow recommended dosages and consult a healthcare provider, especially if you’re pregnant, nursing, or taking other medications. Side effects are rare but can include allergic reactions or gastrointestinal issues. All in all, Motherwort stands as a well-tolerated herb with a long history of use in traditional medicine systems.
Medication Interactions with Motherwort
- Blood Thinners (e.g., Warfarin, Heparin): Motherwort can affect blood clotting and may increase the risk of bleeding when taken with blood thinners.
- Sedatives (e.g., Benzodiazepines, Barbiturates): Since Motherwort has sedative properties, combining it with other sedatives may result in excessive drowsiness or slowed reflexes.
- Antihypertensive Drugs (e.g., Lisinopril, Amlodipine): Motherwort may have blood pressure-lowering effects, which can intensify the impact of antihypertensive medications.
- Diabetes Medications (e.g., Insulin, Metformin): There’s a chance that Motherwort could lower blood sugar levels, potentially interfering with diabetes medications.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy: Motherwort interacts with estrogen receptors and might interfere with hormone replacement treatments.
- Thyroid Medications: Some components in Motherwort may affect thyroid hormone levels, which could alter the effectiveness of thyroid medications.
- Diuretics (e.g., Furosemide, Hydrochlorothiazide): Motherwort has diuretic effects, and combining it with diuretic medications may amplify the loss of fluids and essential electrolytes.
Supplement Interactions with Motherwort
- St. John’s Wort: Both supplements have sedative properties. Combining them may result in increased drowsiness or other sedative effects.
- Ginkgo Biloba: This supplement affects blood clotting. When taken with Motherwort, it could elevate the risk of bleeding.
- Valerian Root: Like Motherwort, Valerian Root also has calming effects. Taking both together may enhance sedative outcomes, leading to excessive drowsiness.
- Garlic: Garlic has blood-thinning properties and can interact with Motherwort to increase the risk of bleeding.
- Ginger: Known for affecting blood clotting, ginger could amplify the anti-clotting effects of Motherwort.
- Melatonin: As both supplements can act as sedatives, taking them together might lead to increased sleepiness and could affect your ability to perform tasks requiring mental alertness.
- Turmeric: This supplement also has blood-thinning effects. Mixing it with Motherwort may increase the likelihood of bleeding complications.
- Saw Palmetto: It interacts with hormone levels, and when taken with Motherwort, could interfere with hormonal balance.
Order Motherwort Online
Why Professionals Choose the Fullscript Formulary
Your health is on the line. Health professionals know that many other online and retail options set a very low bar for quality–sometimes amazingly low. The Fullscript formulary is the most secure online source for the highest quality brands securely sourced to assure freshness and purity. Here’s what makes Fullscript the best:
- Meticulous vetting of brand quality. Health professionals trust Fullscript to continuously monitor the quality of each item on the platform. Retailers operate with profit as their highest or only motive when choosing brands. Fullscript cares only about quality and reliability. Unlike Walmart, Amazon, and other retailers you won’t find ingredients sourced from China or other questionable locations or companies.
- Always 20% Discount off the manufacturer’s retail price. When you follow any link from Supplement-Sciences.Com, you will automatically get 20% off the retail price.
- Free shipping over $50.
- Freshness. Fullscript prioritizes freshness over bulk buying even if it means an increased risk of briefly being out of stock.
- Top quality phone and online support. When you call, knowledgeable humans at Fullscript answer your questions.
- How It Works:
- Easy Sign-up & No Spam Email: Click the “View Product” button below to be taken to Fullscript’s login page where you can quickly create your secure account with just your name, email, and phone number. Then you will be taken directly to the product page.
- Wide variety of supplement options: Once you sign in to your account, you are not limited to the products listed below. You will see similar items listed at the bottom of each product page on Fullscript.
- Search For What You Want: Once inside Fullscript, you can search for the exact brands and products you want from their wide selection of quality brands.
Motherwort 1:2 by MediHerb
Motherwort 1:2 contains Motherwort herb a traditional tonic for the heart and is also used traditionally to support healthy menstrual cycling. Motherwort has been traditionally used in herbal preparations to:
- Work as a tonic for the heart, especially during occasional mild nervous tension
- Soothe the nervous system
- Support healthy female reproductive system health
- Support healthy menstrual cycling*
Dilute 5 mL (approx. 1 teaspoon) in water or juice once per day, or as directed.
Amount Per 5 mL (1 tsp) Serving
Motherwort herb 1:2 extract … 5mL from Leonurus cardiaca herb 2.5 g
To Sum It Up
Motherwort offers a range of health benefits that make it a noteworthy supplement. From easing stress and anxiety to improving heart health and supporting female reproductive wellness, this herb packs a lot of potential. Its anti-inflammatory and digestive properties add to its versatility. Whether consumed as a tea, tincture, or capsule, Motherwort stands as a time-tested option for those looking to enhance their well-being naturally.
This Article is Not a Substitute for Medical Advice
Dietary supplements are not designed to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The Supplement Sciences website seeks to provide comprehensive access to the most relevant supplement information along with convenient online ordering. We do not provide medical advice and cannot guarantee that every product suggested is completely without risk. Since each person is unique in their health history and medication use, it is important to discuss supplements with your personal physician. Specifically, pregnant women and individuals being treated for cancer or liver or kidney problems must consult their physician about every nutritional supplement they plan to take.